While we are all quarantined, our devices can open the world to us. The following is a list of resources I gathered primarily for my family, but I think it will be of use for many of us.
These resources are FREE always or for a limited time during the quarantine.
- Atlas Obscura Museum Tours: 360 tours and more famous museums from around the world.
- Discovery Education: Tour a wide variety of exciting places from an NFL Practice to a science lab to natural wonders around the world
- Great Wall of China: Learn about the Great Wall and immerse yourself in a virtual tour of the iconic wall.
- Museum Tours: Visit over 2,500 museum collections around the world and learn about the collections.
- National Park Service: Explore the Fjords, volcanos, caverns, Bryce Canyon, or underwater at the Dry Tortugas with these immersive virtual tours.
- Street Art Walking Tour: Jump on a guided tour, hit the streets, and hear the stories behind the art.
- Historic Mansions: Tours of Mount Vernon to Buckingham Palace.
- Georgia Aquarium: Watch Beluga whare, Puffin, the reef, jellyfish, and more on a live stream.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Watch sharks, the open ocean, penguins, Monteray Bay itself, and several other live cams from any device.
- LiveCams: Name an animal, and this site will connect you to a live stream. Includes lesson plans to connect to many of the streams.
Maker & Science Activities
- Art Classes: A list of free places for art instruction.
- Brown Dog Gadgets: A list of maker projects you can do at home
- Drawing Classes: A list of free drawing classes from famous illustrators
- Hands-On Science: STEM activities and hot topic exploration, help bring technology and STEAM to life.
- Hopscotch: Bite-sized coding. A great way to introduce coding to kids
- Instructables: DIY maker activities and more for all ages.
- Science Project Ideas: Looking for fun science projects? This site will help you sort by age, subject, and more.
- Virtual Marine Biology Camp: Using Facebook and Instagram, this low-key online class is for everyone who loves the ocean.
- World Wildlife Toolkits: Whole educational units on various topics of interest with a focus on helping the planet.
Reading & Stories
- Atlas Obscura: Fascinating history and stories from all topics.
- Audible Stories: Audible is offering a variety of free books for kids.
- CrimeReads: Readers Advisory, articles, and more for those who love a good mystery read.
- Hoopla: Free streaming videos, audio, and downloadable books through your local library.
Other Great Sites
- Puzzle Maker: Create puzzles and mind twisters of all types. Fun for both parents and kids alike.
- People Magazine: Need more ideas? This article contains more virtual tours and interesting sites to visit.
- Julia Campbell’s Nonprofit Coronavirus Resource Guide: This site includes ideas and resources for non-profits (and libraries) to stay connected and on track during this time.
- Khan Academy – Digital Learning Schedule with activities: By grade connects a schedule to actual resources.
- Free Virtual Tours Online – List: List of great virtual tours from all walks of life.
- Review of Free Online Learning Sites: From printable worksheets to virtual museum tours, here are 18 of the free resources.
- Road Trip From Home: Virtual Field Trips: List of many great virtual field trips for anyone looking to get away without leaving their house.