Not to get choked up- but what an incredible year Novare Library Services had in 2011. Our first year in business – we (Chad, Mark and Diana) are all excited about our company’s accomplishments.
In 2011, we exceeded first year expectations in three areas:
- Providing professional development to librarians via web-based and face-to-face training
- Developing underlying tools for libraries to provide new and innovative services through web programming and web design
- Modeling innovative behavior while advocating for relevant and emerging technology trends for librarians
Providing Professional Development
Novare Library Services began offering web-based training in July. In the 6 months of training, we offered 25 web-based training sessions on topics including:
- Facebook Marketing
- Twitter (Basic & Advanced)
- QR Codes
- Augmented Reality
- Cloud Computing
- Augmented Reality Applications
- Voice Over IP Resources
- SMS Services for Libraries
- Social Media & Privacy
- Mobile Apps
Novare Library Services also began a partnership with PCI Webinars to bring web-based training to library end-users through LearnSurge (LearnSurge.com). This new service will launch in May 2012. Demos are available upon request.
Staff Development Days
- Novare Library Services also coordinated and implemented a Staff Development Day for Pasco County Libraries in October 2011. The Staff Development Day included:
- Keynote address by Peter Kageyama, Author of For the Love of Cities
- Programs on E-books, Stress Management and Social Media and Pasco County
- Integration with technology and engaging staff through group activities.
- Chad presented, “Transforming Our Vision to Enhance Library Services” as the Keynote Address at St John’s County Staff Day.
- Chad presented, “Ebooks: Empowering the Reader in a Digital World” at NEFLIN’s Technology Conference.
- Developed a custom mobile web page for the Florida Library Association Annual Conference
- Offered Free Mobile Templates for Libraries
Developed SMS Service for Florida’s Ask a Librarian Service allowing Floridians to text reference questions to the statewide virtual reference service. (Note: Version 3 – just went live in January 2012)
Developed websites for Angry Elephant Tattoos and PCI Webinars
Modeling Innovative Behavior
- Diana presented to the Dade County Library Association, “The Life and Times of a Digital Librarian: Past, Present and Future”
- Chad presented at the HandHeld Librarian Conference, “Building a Text Messaging Reference Service On a Budget”
- Chad presented the following programs at Internet Librarian 2011
- Handheld Librarians’ Mobile Tech Tutorial
- Practical Considerations for Public & Academic Libraries
- E-book Evolution & Revolution
- Diana presented two programs at the 2011 Georgia Library Association Annual Conference:
- Smartphones, Apps, and Libraries
- Taking the Leap: Moving From Hardware Solutions to Cloud Computing
We exhibited at the following conferences:
- Florida Library Association
- Georgia Library Association
- Indiana Library Federation Annual Conference (co- exhibitor with PCI Webinars)
- Handheld Librarian Conference (Virtual)
Other Exciting News:
- Diana was awarded the FLA 2011 Library Leader of the Year Award
- Diana served as Co-Chair for the NISO Committee developing Recommended Practices on Physical Delivery of Library Resources.
- Chad publishes a chapter titled ‘Acquiring, Promoting, and Using Mobile-Optimized Library Resources and Services,’ which will be published this month in “E-Reference Context and Discoverability in Libraries: Issues and Concepts” edited by Sue Polanka.
2011 Annual Report in PDF for Download